Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Vinegar and blue tape

I have three stories in progress at the moment...one insightful scene of us going aground for the first and from what I hear, not last time, another explaining how to use your main sail halyard to hoist objects off of your boat.  The third, which I have chosen to go ahead and write, excitedly discusses vinegar and blue tape.

Apparently boat engineering and "hoisting" are a little tougher plots for me to develop.

One sweet duo

No matter where I live, I am a bit of a fanatic.  I like objects in their proper  place and think Dust Busters are a total  treat  Side note:  I swear I'm also tons of fun.  As you can imagine, boat livin' isn't always easy for this Skipper. I can describe my overall feeling best by saying:

(In the calmest way possible, to my husband) "Sometimes the boat makes me feel like I'm living in a garage.  There are a LOT of man-things lying around which I know nothing about, and somehow we have not one, but two  of those orange Home Depot buckets, within arms reach of the V-birth"

Garage-y surroundings aren't my favorite.

Putting all those things aside (and Captain J putting all those things in lockers ), I am totally into the simplicity of maintaining below deck.  Every time I find a new way to attack a practical task, I share it with the Cap and he pretends to be impressed...he is just so sweet.

Two recent fun-finds are vinegar (for everything) and blue tape (for at least three things).

The vinegar can be bought by the gallon at any grocery store.  Mix equal parts vinegar and water in a spray bottle, and just go nuts. Some of the purposes aboard (insert whatever we name our boat here) include:


windows
stainless steel stove top 
galley sink
winch handle holders
flushing (Nature Heads are not "bitchen" toilets, despite what the last owner said. For another day)

The point is I love vinegar and you should too.

Blue tape doesn't get used quite as often but certainly serves a purpose.
1.  Removing lint...from everything, because everything has lint on it
2. Applying beach towels to the interior ports since you hadn't MADE your curtains yet...and privacy is key to a treehouse.
3.  Attaching Sailing-Joe-Kitty's water dish to the floor since she's always pushing it across the floor.  Oh, did I not mention there's a cat aboard this vessel?...We'll get there.

For me, one of the most entertaining things about this live aboard life is figuring out all the intricacies...then getting sometimes-fake kudos for it (I've never been too  proud).

Content outside (like WAY outside) my expertise is on its way...and probably at least one post about the cat.

Sweet dreams.
         

No comments:

Post a Comment