Wednesday, February 13, 2013

The "Closet"

Three and a half months on a boat is just enough time to realize 1. you totally  live on a boat and 2. you're going to be re-organizing your closet at least nineteen more times before it functions at a level that meets your reasonable expectations.

I use the word "closet" pretty loosely. While I have a "closet" in the trunk of my car and our 10 by 10 storage unit, the closet I refer to now is the one on board.  It's about 3-feet tall, a foot and a half wide...and the back of it is positioned at an inconvenient slope.  Perfect for all your clothing storage needs right?

I've rearranged this thing a number of times. Typically the onset of a good re-arrange is a minor freak-out when I grab the same pair of black slacks more than thrice in one week, in attempt to grab a high-waisted black skirt  of similar material.  I don't think I need to say it, but I will...

THIS lack of organization just won't do.

Note to newly wedded Skippers- While there is a temptation to let said "freak-out" slowly go from minor to major over time, do what you can to overcome it.  Living on a boat is a perfect opportunity to show your new husband just how crazy you can get, but is that really necessary? In these moments, I simply remind myself that self control is one of the fruits of the spirit- some prefer to call it a virtue.  This is a fruit that I particularly struggle with and just like mangoes-it almost gives me a rash, BUT it must be controlled.

My latest closet war was a week ago when it mocked me and my quest to find yet another black garment.  With our new floating home's limitedLED lighting (I told you, I live in a tree house) finding a specific piece can be quite daunting.  I mean, I have a full time job for crying out loud, there's no time for this nonsense.

The cure, for now...
 Step #1:  The very fancy "shelves" (AKA a Shoe Hanger) -
If you don't yet have a Shoe Hanger, get one
 This gem's official name, I don't know...but it hangs and typically has shoes in it.
I chose specific pieces to roll up and place in there,
instead of folding them properly and stacking in the open space beside it.  
This is because these items are not as prone to wrinkle...and they are all pieces that give 
variety to my wardrobe.  I personally believe that categorizing sections of a closet 
(even a normal closet that you can actually stand in) is the only way to live.  
I can add any of the rolled up items to something else in my closet and fool people 
into thinking I have a ton of different outfits or that maaaaybe I don't live on a boat.
I also place all of my lighter tank tops in one of the shelves since they are going to be worn
under other things that will hide their creases.  

Step #2:  CUT-
Cut off  just enough length to leave yourself with the number of shelves you require
and enough room below the hanger to stack your bigger garments sideways.


Step #3: Filling it up-
Notice the bottom pieces (mostly work dresses) are folded and
arranged horizontally, below the bottom of the shoe hanger so that I can SEE as much of
each piece as possible.  Since there is more of the garment showing I can actually tell (NOW)
what it is I'm grabbing from the 2 1/2 feet pile of clothing.  
Step #4:  Hangers and Space- Leave some
The hangers aren't there for use inside of the closet...no one actually
hangs their clothes on that rod.  At first, I cursed that rod (pre Shoe Hanger discovery).
The hangers are for hanging up what you will wear tomorrow
in the aft cabin, or wherever they can be stowed...another task devoted to the
purpose of de-wrinkling.  Living on your boat is no excuse for looking like you just
jumped out of a hamper.  While I do not usually plan a whole 12 hours ahead,
selecting what I'll wear the night before is huge.  Making this
major decision (kidding) gives you the best chance of a crisp look in the morning.
After hanging, I usually give it a few sprays of water and then let gravity
do its thing.  The Space at the top must be there, unless you want scraped knuckles
and no option of adding anything to this closet of yours.  If you play your cards
right, throwing a pair of boots in that space can even be an option...where
else are you gonna fit those things?


I'm sure you've noticed there are no Man-clothes shown.  This is because the man's clothes don't live in here...his arrangement is for another post.  I balance out my evil (and non-negotiable) monopoly of the closet by including him in step #4.  No respectable Captain starts his day looking crumpled...unless he's a single live-aboard, in that case there is likely no hope of looking at all assembled.

Again, my future likely holds 14 more sessions of reorganizing.  But for now, I sincerely recommend the laid out plan you see above.  Happy organizing and Good LUCK to ya.




No comments:

Post a Comment